• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Aden 'H' 1944

Started by Gavin Fryer, October 16, 2017, 05:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavin Fryer

I have a cover sent from Pennys Hill Ferndown Dorset, Britain, on 13 September 1944 to the GPO London for Aden. The letter was re-directed using RAF Form No. 1674 signed and dated 17 October 1944 and in a box headed in print 'R.A.F. Station Stamp' has been written Aden 'H'. The cover was later re-directed to Ein-Shemer (27/10) then to RAF Shallufa.
Can anyone throw light on Aden Force 'H'? What were the terms of reference of such a Force?
I seem to recall having seen published information about this Force, maybe I am mistaken.
Gavin Fryer

Gavin Fryer

Now I attach an image of the cover redirected for Aden 'H'
Gavin Fryer

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Having spoken today with Gavin Fryer who posted this Topic back in 2017 with no feedback have said will refloat the topic.  With changing interests and new members hopefully someone can respond.  If not will run as a Query in the Summer Journal.

Chris

Neil Williams

All

If someone can decipher these, I'll be well pleased! I got zip responses from other members of the Aden and Somaliland Study Group a few years ago.

I have the following in my collection, seen on airgraphs, letters and envelopes: A, I, J, M, N, P, T and Z. 

My belief is that they are locations, rather than a particular 'force', and were introduced as a security measure. They appear from late 1944 until mid-1945, and during this period the 'usual' location/unit details are rarely seen. There are hints in correspondence that some of the locations are across the broad geography of Aden Command, ie including Somalia/Somaliland and 'this desert island' .

Chris - I would be very glad if you'd put a query in the journal. If you'd like other images, let me know.

Neil W

Gavin Fryer

Neil

Thank you for your comment. What you say about locations makes me need to check other areas with 'Letters' for what are called 'Forces'.
Gavin