• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

BEF mail to India

Started by Jim Etherington, March 01, 2018, 05:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Etherington

Can anyone confirm my assumptions regarding this cover or suggest an alternative explanation.

I assume  stamps have been applied to cover the air mail rate to India. FPO 66 was in use by the BEF at this date. Did the sender obtain the stamps at the NAAFI in France? Would the mail have gone to India via Home Depot or direct from France? There is an India receiving office cancel on the reverse dated 4 APR 40

Jim Etherington

Khalid Omaira

Hi Jim,

As regards the postage rate, yes. 1s3d. was the air mail rate per a half ounce.

I am not really sure about the route of the cover!

Regards,
Khalid

Jim Etherington

Thanks Khalid,
That's one assumption confirmed.
Best wishes
Jim

Ingo Egerlandt

Jim,

interresting is, the postage rate. I have got two fieldpost items with FPO 40 from 8th November 1939 and FPO 33 B from 9th November 1939 to India without postage rate. I think, it is free.

These post comes from Unit -Force K 6-. The soldiers send later back to India, because the soldiers canĀ“t be health in northern France in wintertime. The unit transport horses from the BEF, and stand under 1 LoC command.

Ingo

Jim Etherington

Thanks for the information Ingo.
While surface mail was free, I think perhaps postage had to be paid for air mail.
Jim

Ingo Egerlandt

Jim, the India troops was back in England at this time. From France was postage free. Later, air Mail rate was ok!
Ingo