• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Censored By ??????? Surgeon R.N.

Started by Peter Harvey, January 16, 2019, 08:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Any assistance please:

I am trying to work out the signature on the attached card top left. I assume this is CLEGG, by the 'C' is rather strange (more like a G) and does not fit with the letter 'C' in the main address...... any thoughts??

Thank you Peter

Nick Colley

It's Glegg, Pete. Surgeon W.Glegg, RN, seniority from 26th January 1915. Now, annoyingly, the March 1915 Navy List has him listed for the destroyer Porpoise, but he is conspicuous by his absence from the list of officers serving aboard that vessel. Presumably there's an error somewhere. Maybe Frank can cast some light ?

chrs
N

Alan Baker

I have checked him out on Forces War Records and found a listing of the University of Edinburgh Record of War Service which lists him as being with the RNAS (Armoured Cars) in January 1915, which might tie up with the APO Nos located in France

It also notes the award to him of the DSC for his conduct during the Zeebrugge Raid in 1918, when he was in charge of stretcher parties on the upper deck of Vindictive and in recovering casualties on the mole.

A further record on Ancestry suggests he was an MO with Russian Armoured Cars and was awarded Chevalier of the Order of the Crown of Romania. He died in Edinburgh in October 1956

Frank Schofield

Peter

Alan seems to have traced him

All I can come in with is that a Surg/Prob K.F.D. Waters was appt to Porpoise on 15th Sept 1915

Frank Schofield

Peter Harvey

Thank you all three...... what an amazing membership the FPHS has !!

It also makes this a more interesting card thanks to points from Alan.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards Peter