• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Capt EP Marett, RAMC

Started by Alan Baker, April 06, 2019, 10:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

I am attaching a scan of a card from AK's collection, sent by this officer to his son in Jersey, APOS1, dated 9th January 1919. Also to follow one sent in March 1917, APOS2.

Capt Elie Philip Marett was a qualified doctor from Jersey, born in 1872, who served in Mesopotamia in 1915 and in France from 1917, according to his medal card on Ancestry. This also confirms his address in St Lawrence.

However, he was listed in 1916 as an incoming passenger on the P&O ship Somali, from Hong Kong to London. The question immediately comes to mind - what was he doing in Hong Kong?

He is also listed on the London electoral register for 1918, under St Thomas' Hospital. Was this a method of recording medical officers serving overseas, or was he actually practising there?

Alan Baker

Scan of second card

Alan Baker

This time with correct scans

Nick Colley

Just a thought, Alan, but depending on the itinerary of the [i]Somali[/i], perhaps your Capt. Marett joined the ship at an intermediate port - Suez, or Port Said, for example?

chrs
N

Alan Baker

'Fraid not. It started out from Yokohama and he is definitely listed as joining at HK