• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Crete 1941, APO 299

Started by Nick Colley, May 31, 2019, 11:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Folks, I draw your attention to the attached. Clearly the addressee, serving with 304 Searchlight Battery on Crete in May 1941, was taken prisoner, presumably during the withdrawal from the island.

I understand APO 725 was the army address for Crete. However, I have failed to find any reference to APO 299 in Proud's Volume 3 (yet).

I intend to use this cover for one of the illustrations  in the article I've prepared for Stamp Collecting magazine, so a speedy response will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and by the way, all there is on the reverse is the return address (9 Seabank Road, Fleetwood, if you're interested).

Thanks a lot!

chrs
Nick

Nick Colley

I've found it, page 109 of Proud: Cairo O2E, so presumably the army address for 2nd Echelon troops, but does anyone know what the 'O' stands for? Or is it a zero??  ???

chrs
N

Michael Dobbs

Nick

I was going to suggest the "APO 299" was the office designation, more properly known as APO S.299, but you have found that out from Proud.

O2E is Officer in Charge 2nd Echelon (part of Adjutant-General's Branch in a headquarters structure) - taken from Field Service Pocket Book, Part 1 - Pamphlet No 3, Abbreviations, dated 1944.  This was usually a second line headquarters in command of support troops.

Mike  :)