• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Inland Services censor on BEF mail

Started by Tommy Samuelsson, November 04, 2019, 06:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy Samuelsson

I am looking for more information regarding the I.S. censor on this free mail letter from the BEF in France. All I know is that it is an abbreviation for Inland Services but does anyone have additional information or litterature references to this particular censor mark? I also have another cover with this censor mark in my collection where the letters and the triangle is of larger size.

Tommy Samuelsson

Alan Baker

I am no expert on RFC/RAF censors, but note there is no date on the cover. However, as it specifically states "RAF" it must be after 1st April 1918

The censoring officer was Henry George Dudley Ereckson, who was a Second Lt in the 10th Battalion the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, before transferring to the RFC on 14th April 1917. He was 20 at the time.

Frank Schofield

Tommy

The triangular I S is a transit and not a censor mark

Frank Schofield

Michael Dobbs

Tommy (and everyone else)

The RAF censor is a Daynes Type R1 used in WW2 - dates recorded used September 1939 - December 1940
(taken from World War Two Censor Marks (2nd Edition) Edited by Nick Colley; pub FPHS 2016; pages 169 & 171)

The triangular I.S. mark is a postal marking not a censor mark: it is an Inspectors mark; I.S. = Inland [u]Section[/u] of the Post Office based in London.
(taken from Collect British Postmarks Edited by Bill Pipe (8th Edition), pub Stanley Gibbons 2011; page 326)

Regards, Mike

Nick Colley

Hi, Tommy,

This number (ie R1/174) is one of the many that were used by the RAF in France. We have four other recordings of this number: 30/11/39 and 27/12/39 with London SW1 m/c (ie the covers were carried back - probably in an 'official' RAF bag (?) to the UK and posted here); 19/12/39 with FPO 26 (France); and lastly 17/3/40 with a Received from HM Ships mark.

I'll add your cover to the New Recordings file.

Adding to Alan's reply, I can contribute this from the October 1940 Air Force List: Henry George Dudley Ereckson was a Flying Officer, RAFVR (ie a junior rank) in the Admin and Special Duties Branch. He had seniority from 25/8/39. I think we can deduce that he left the RAF after WW1 and was recalled to active service during the preparation for mobilisation.

Nick.

Alan Baker

In the City and county Directory for London (1934) he is described as a "Publicity Consultant". He died in 1975

Tommy Samuelsson

Thank you all for the information! I really appreciate your comments. Now I understand why I have not come across this mark in any censor handbooks. In the Stanley Gibbons postmark catalogue the inspectors mark is said to be "usually denoting an irregularity has been noted". Is this because the letter has no postmark? How common or uncommon are these inspectors marks on military mail?