• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

FPO89

Started by Alan Baker, November 11, 2019, 08:46:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

Another AK scan, this time of a postcard bearing the franking FPO89 and censor mark 6/2100. I have previously seen this censor mark with FPO107, dated 18th January 1919. This was in security period VI and Proud & K&C state this stamp was in use by 122 Brigade, who took it to Italy in November 1917 and did not return until March 1918.

The card is franked on 15th February 1918. According to Proud, this was security period V and FPO89 was in use by 229 Brigade. However, K&C state that the changeover was in February 1918 and that, potentially, FPO89 was with 122 Brigade, which ties in with the earlier one. Indeed, if the stamp was in Italy until later that month or even March, presumably it could not have been exchanged.

According to Proud, 229 Brigade was in Jerusalem in February 1918, part of 74 Division, which did not return to the Western Front until May 1918.

All this suggests that the dates in Proud for security periods may be too precise. Any views?

Frank Schofield

Alan

FPO 89 was used in Italy Nov 17 - Feb 18, used by 122 Bde, 41st Div, Charles Entwistle also lists these dates as Italy.
I have 6 items in my collection with this FPO No. one  postmarked 20th Jan 18 with CM6 No 2100, I also record No's 4424 and 4658 used by FPO 89 during this period
Of the 6 items 3 are on Italian postcards, 1 French, 1 Field Service Card and 1 cover with letter headed BEF Italy
Hope of some use

Frank Schofield