• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

RND First Naval Brigade - Battalions

Started by Tony Walker, December 16, 2019, 09:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I have a couple of covers with the N.L.1. FPO cancel from the First Naval Brigade of the RND in WW1, and would like to be able to identify from which Battalion these covers originated.  I have another and was able to place it from the Hawke Battalion.
The two covers are illustrated below

Top one : PASSED BY / crown / No 2635 / CENSOR with FIELD POST OFFICE / + / 14 NO / 15 / N.L.1. cancel.  The only clue, apart from the P by C mark? is the signature bottom left.  Difficult, but something like L.R.H. Furfie?  Any help appreciated

Bottom one : Same censor number and dr cancel except dated AU 18 / 15 (Note the month and date have been transposed from that in top cover).  I have found a R Dodwell Service No Z827L in the RND who went into sick bay on 28 Feb 17 with gastro enteritis.  I think he was in the Anson Battalion which appears to have been in the First Naval Brigade ?  But where might he have been in August 1915?

Any help appreciated
Tony

Frank Schofield

Tony

Checked my Navy Lists for October 1915 and April 1916, sorry cannot trace an officer listed in the First Brigade RND with a name or similar name and initials like the signature on the top cover

Frank Schofield

Tony Walker

Alan Baker

I think the surname is Fairfax. Possible initials: WGH or WGA

I have found a Commander WGA Ramsay-Fairfax, CMG DSO in the 1944 Navy List, with seniority dated 29th July 1916. FWR lists him as Lt Cdr with Hawke Battalion in the Med in 1915. He was Mentioned in Dispatches for service in Gallipoli

Alan Baker

The London Gazette Supplement dated 13th July 1916 also lists him as Hawke Bn

Nick Colley

That's an impressive piece of de-ciphering, Alan.

The IWM knows about Commander Fairfax: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.iwm.org.uk/lifestory/6906373

chrs
N

Alan Baker

Too many years trying to read signatures on cheques!

Nick Colley

Ha!, Yes, that would explain it.

Seriously, though, Mr Google has just helped us a bit more - see attached.

It's about 4/5ths of the way down this page:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/230260-list-of-names-mentioned-in-gallipoli-diary-mainly-officers-in-rnd/

chrs
N

Tony Walker

Thank you gentlemen.  I think I can reasonably state censor 'attributed to'  Ramsay-Fairfax

Cheers
Tony