• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

GOULD 4A100 - An update

Started by Frank Schofield, March 18, 2020, 07:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Schofield

Recently I had a request from a fellow member to help identify a censor mark on a postcard from Gibraltar in 1918.

The mark was similar to Gould 4A100 CENSORED (underlined), but slightly longer and smaller letters.

in Vol 1 Gould allocates 4A100 to the Naval Siege Guns in Belgium, and sometime ago I confirmed that an item was from the guns.

On checking Vol 2 page 63, Michael Gould takes 5 lines to doubt my confirmation.

Once again, I can state my confirmation was correct.

The Royal Navy Officer's name is CASSWELL not COSSWELL, and he was awarded the DSC while serving with the guns. His citation reads:-

Sub-Lieutenant Arthur Henry Seymour Casswell RN.

For conspicuous coolness and gallantry on the 28th April 1915, when in charge of a naval gun on shore in Belgium, in removing ammunition from a burning building under heavy and well directed fire.

Frank Schofield