• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Query about a Field Service Post Card WWI

Started by Tony Walker, March 29, 2020, 11:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

Thanks to Peter Harvey I have the Field Service Post Card attached here

I am puzzled as to why a naval man used an army FSPC and why a London cancel.  Unfortunately the year is missing from the cancel.  Peter observed this card was not posted through the normal channels.  The card is addressed to Holland and arrived there, as indicated by the D.4 mark.  Where was the sender?

I can identify the sender as Charles Munday.  He joined the RNAS Armoured Car Squadron that went to Russia in late 1915 under the command of Locker Lampson.  I have two or three covers from Munday to his wife in Cromer, the earliest dated in 1917.  However I have several covers and letters written by his sister-in-law Eva Munday to Charles's brother James who also joined the Armoured Cars at the same time which often refer to Charles's letters, so he was in Russia from the start of that campaign in mid 1915 until he returned to England in late summer 1917.

1  He might have used the card prior to going to Russia if he was in the ACD from the start of the war, when Locker Lampson's No. 15 Squadron was on the Western Front in Belgium and France.
or
2  After extended leave in the UK after Russia, many ACD men went to Mesopotamia (overland route) to fight in the Dunsterforce until the war ended.

Peter Harvey says the FSPC use was restricted to GB and Commonwealth countries, plus America

Anyone any theories on this one?

Cheers
Tony

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Tony

Can't make it out on your scan but at the bottom of the card on the reverse the printed details contain a date of printing which may give some idea as to when the card was used.

London cancel suggests arrival in a Naval Bag.

Chris

Tony Walker

Thanks Chris

It's hard enough reading it with a mag glass :

W? WS197-293  1,125m  5/16  J.J.K. & Co Ltd.

This means presumably it must have been used after May 1916, so not before Munday went to Russia.  As I imagine these cards took a while to get into circulation it looks as though he used it post-Russia campaign

Cheers
Tony

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Tony

Would suggest this is certainly 1916 usage.  These cards were produced in vast numbers, this one alone was 1.25 million.  However troops were allowed two per week I believe when on active service.  Also used across all theatres of conflict.

Where was the squadron prior to service in Russia?  Re reading your post I see you mention mid 1916 for service in Russia,  this and what I believe is a London Naval Bag cancel ties in.

Your thoughts?

Chris