• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Journal Query No 397 Help wanted

Started by Chris Grimshaw, March 31, 2020, 03:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

Journal Query No 397 in the Spring Journal is one I'd like to put to bed,  Raised by Andrew Pavey.

Andrew first raised this one back in 1994, same item, details shown below.

FPHS Newsletter No. 219 Spring 1994

Query No. 155 (219/187) From Andrew Pavey This is a 1916 "Service Militaire" postcard, stampless, censorless, and unfortunately, more or less clueless 1 The address is given as Braila, Roumania, and the message is dated 25.11.16. Were there any British troops in Romania in WW I or perhaps a military mission? Although the card is written in English by an Englishman "Service Militaire" is at the top. I had assumed that Romania was neutral in WW I. Was French widely spoken in Romania at the time?

Editor:  (Ben Ferguson) wrote the following.

Romania entered the War on the side of the Allies on August 27th, 1916. The Romanian Army, supported by Russian, Jugoslav, and Serbian troops fought in 1916 against German, Austro-Hungarian, and Bulgarian Armies. A French Military Mission arrived in October 1916. There were also French and British airmen who defended Bucharest from German bombers. There were British nurses in some hospitals and, in view of the addressee, the card may have been from a nurse?

Can anyone add anything or shed any light through Family History research which wasn't available then.

I'd favour some sort of nursing connection,

Chris

Tony Walker

The RNAS Armoured Car Squadron commanded by Locker Lampson also fought in Roumania briefly at this time.  However the items of mail I have are fairly well tied to their unit. I'll have a look back at the cover in question

Cheers
Tony