• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Cover of the Day, 3rd April

Started by Nick Colley, April 03, 2020, 09:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

'mng, all,

Sorry I missed yesterday. I'll try and make up for it here. There are four items (fronts) altogether in the sequence, so it will have to spread over two posts. They are from Lt.B.J.Culver with the 1st Battalion, Cheshire Regiment to his wife back in the UK. They cover the period from August 1939 to October 1940. I have no story to go with the items. The internet was not forthcoming at all yesterday, so they are presented 'as-is', so to speak.

Here are the first two items:

1st item: from Khartoum, 8th August 1939, 20 mills surface rate, bearing the cachet of the Orderly Room.
2nd item: from Atbara, 7th September 1939, 60 mills air mail rate, with a spectacular and unrecorded censor mark.

Second two items to follow shortly.

chrs
N

Nick Colley

Just to complete the sequence:

Third item: From Egypt, FPO E605, 22nd April 1940, 40 mils air mail, with censor A300 no.97
Fourth item: also from Egypt. FPO 242, 2nd October 1940, 40 mils air mail, censor with censor A102, no.1382.

chrs
N

Chris Grimshaw

Ni Nick

Like you discovered the internet is very un forthcoming. Results zilch..

Chris

Chris Weddell

Hello Nick,

This is your Guy :-
B F J  Culver
Major
Cheshire Regiment

B F J  Culver
2nd Lieutenant
Cheshire Regiment

B F J  Culver
Captain
Cheshire Regiment

B F J  Culver
Captain
Cheshire Regiment

B F J  Culver
2nd Lieutenant
Cheshire Regiment

B F J  Culver
Lieutenant
Cheshire Regiment

B F J  Culver
Major
Cheshire Regiment

B F J  Culver
2nd Lieutenant
Cheshire Regiment

Not much here as records go but I can take a deeper look. Let me know and I will go digging. I will have a look at my Sudan and Egypt items as I think this name sounds familiar.

Cheers

Chris W.

Chris Weddell

Carrying on with Sudan my cover of the day.

A 1936 postal concession posted to England with a Royal Army Medical Corps concession cachet I have never seen before. If anybody has seen this cachet before can you let me know. 

Nick Colley

[quote author=Chris Weddell link=topic=1388.msg6212#msg6212 date=1585908142]
Hello Nick,

This is your Guy :- B F J
Culver

Major
Cheshire Regiment

B F J
Culver

2nd Lieutenant
Cheshire Regiment

B F J
Culver

Captain
Cheshire Regiment

Not much here as records go but I can take a deeper look. Let me know and I will go digging. I will have a look at my Sudan and Egypt items as I think this name sounds familiar.

Cheers

Chris W.
[/quote]

Hey, thanks, Chris, yes, that should cover the sender. All I need now is some gen on the movements of the 1st Battalion between August 39 and October 40. The internet is still rather mute (so far) about the Cheshire Regiment WW2 (but a reasonable amount during WW1 :-( ).

chrs
N

Howard Weinert

A cover sent by an American soldier with the China Relief Expedition to his fiancée in Pittsburgh. Postmarked MIL POSTAL STA No.1 CHINA on 11 and 14 January 1901 and received in Pittsburgh in March. Sent by First Lieutenant Manus MacCloskey [1874-1963] with the 7th US Artillery. MacCloskey, a native of Pittsburgh, graduated from West Point in 1898 and served in Cuba and the Philippines with Light Battery F, 5th US Artillery. In July 1900 that unit and other American troops were sent to China as part of an international expedition to suppress the Boxer Rebellion. He commanded one of the battery's three platoons (2 guns each). The battery entered Peking on 14 August and bombarded the walls of the Imperial city the next day, when MacCloskey was promoted to First Lieutenant and assigned to the 7th US Artillery. He returned to the US in June 1901. In 1902 he became the first commander of Fort Worden on the Puget Sound. He served with distinction in France during World War I, becoming a Brigadier General in 1918. He retired from the Army in 1938 and was Administrator of Cook County Hospital in Chicago from then until 1947. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

Michael Dobbs

Howard - a facinating piece of military history and something a little different from the norm as it is American [i]and not British[/i]!

Thank you, Mike  :)

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Howard

A great little item, fancy working into a journal article?

Chris

Howard Weinert

Thanks, Chris. I would be happy to do that.

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Howard

I'll await your contribution.

Chris