• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Cover of the day

Started by Jim Etherington, April 07, 2020, 10:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Etherington

My cover of the day comes with a query. It was purchase many years ago as the result of a blue pencil number written on the reverse, 'U33007'.
Dated 16 June 1940, at which time the air mail service to France was suspended, the dealer suggested the sender had managed to have the letter taken from Cambellton on a US ship in the harbour which was subsequently intercepted by a British ship blockading the French/Spanish coast.
There are no other markings (e.g. 'Return to Sender' or DLO) on the reverse besides the 'U33007'.
Any ideas?

Nick Colley

Well, I can only speculate, Jim, so there are a lot of ifs in what comes next. The US was not a belligerent nation at the time, so: IF it was carried on a US vessel, and IF it was intercepted by any blockade we had put in place by the time the vessel reached the Eastern Atlantic, then IF her cargo was deemed NOT to be (in belligerent terms) contraband, then the vessel would presumably have been allowed to proceed. The letter would then have been treated in whatever way was normal in France at that time,presumably?

However, that does not account for your blue pencil number on the back. What makes you think it is contemporary? Is it a French-style 7?

Like I said, only speculation  :-\

chrs
N

Jim Etherington

Thanks for your comments Nick. No it is the English 7. No bar across it.