• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Query - Ships Triangular

Started by Michael Dobbs, May 11, 2020, 09:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Dobbs

I have received the following query:

[color=maroon]Please find attached a cover with Received From Ships Postage Paid h/s.

Whitney states this was used in the 1980's Ref: 14/101.

I had an example in the past used in 1982 from the Falklands.
Has this mark ever been tied down to a particular conflict?
Any help would be appreciated.[/color]

I don't think it can be tied down to any particular conflict - it's too much of a generic cancel with no date.

Thanks, Mike  :)

Frank Schofield

Mike

This mark is listed in Mike Dovey's book THE MARITIME MAIL CANCELLATIONS OF GREAT BRITAIN published by the TPO Society in 2015, a book I recommended to members of our society interested in Naval marks at the time

Page 78. No. 182 with POSTAGE PAID at the base, recorded used 1982 - 1986 (possible Falklands usage)
No. 183 without the POSTAGE PAID at the base is known used for the same dates

Frank Schofield

Michael Dobbs

Many thanks Frank - a perfect answer!

Mike  :)

Peter Harvey

Hi Mike,

I have seen five copies (those I have noted), none dated all on covers (Air Mail envelopes) with no postage or other postal marks. I do not think there is a Falklands connection, if so others would have picked this up by now and I am sure John Daynes, myself or others would have picked up during the Falklands Campaign, or subsequently. I would suggest used in the UK to designate free post... location unknown.

(Unless others prove me wrong).

Peter