• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Cover of the Day 13th May - Portuguese POW

Started by Alan Baker, May 13, 2020, 07:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

Here is another which has arrived in the morning post. It is a card from a POW in Munster Camp in Westfalen, addressed to Portugal. It bears a number of stamps, some of which I cannot make out, one is a stamp applied in the camp and another is a Portuguese receiving stamp dated 14 Jan 18.

One I can read is London EC PAID 8 JA 18. The card itself is dated on the reverse 19th October 1917.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the route this would have taken to get to Portugal, which clearly involves it passing through London. Also, how long would it reasonably take for mail from a POW camp to get to its destination?

Marc Parren

Hi Alan,

There is a small circular postmark Münster (Westf) dated 3.12.17/1-2 N/2 and Figueira da Foz 14 JAN 18. The German purple camp handstamp probably reads Briefstempel Münster IV in the center and around Postuberwachungsstelle des Kriegsgefangenenlager.  suppose that this card went accross the border with the Netherlands at Emmerich and from Hoek van Holland to England and as such London before being forwarded to Portugal.

I hope this helps

Marc

Alan Baker

Marc

Many thanks for this detail. I will write the card up sometime and include the information. Unfortunately, it will probably be about a year, given all the material in the "to do" pile!