• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

A Research Query Gallipoli May 1915

Started by Chris Grimshaw, May 19, 2020, 01:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Back to the main interest

Having spend time mounting and sorting my Gallipoli material lately I've been looking at material from 25th April to end May 1915.

29th Division and RND Division landed at Cape Helles on the 25th May 1915.

Prior to this the 3 Divisional FPOs fro 29th Division were open for a short time in Egypt and subsequently at Mudros prior to the landings.  This is confirmed by material I have and have recorded. These are FPOs 86 87 & 88

All established publications, K & C, Proud and Firebrace record 25th April (landing day) as the start of operations for these FPO's at Helles.  Material I have or have recorded doesn't seem to bear this out however.  Its possible that I've been unlucky and not come across anything from Early May but I wonder,

Mail is easy enough from BAPO Y and FPO GZ during this time so a mail service was operating.  However in the first weeks they were a little busy at Helles.

I'm looking for dates and if possible scans of any material from THE 29th Div and RND in May 1915  please.

Can anyone assist.

Chris