• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Cover of the Day 20th May - CM1/6

Started by Alan Baker, May 20, 2020, 02:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

Here is an item from AK's material. It is a cover bearing the franking APO 32, dated 25th October 1914. On the reverse is CM1/6, noted by Daniel as from the 2nd Cavalry Brigade HQ. The censoring officer was Lt Thomas B Terry, 18th (Queen Mary's Own) Hussars.

The cover is addressed to Capt Edmund W Furse, A Flight, 5th Squadron RFC. This officer served with the RFA attached to the RFC. He rose to the rank of Lt Col but was killed in a railway accident at the Front on 19th May 1918, 102 years ago yesterday.

The censor mark is numerically the lowest I have. Can anyone get any lower?

Peter Harvey

Hi Alan,

Well I was up for the challenge and looked through about 200 covers the closest I could find was in the 100's...... However, I now have the bug and will let you know when I find a number 1 !!

Alan Baker

I also have Nos 13 & 14 - again from AK material. I thought I had bought a No 1 but cannot find it. Hardly surprising when you see how much stuff I have awaiting action - and I keep adding to it.

I could do with a break in the weather to keep me indoors!

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Alan

Have very little Type 1 but can offer No 1 Type 7, used by 22nd Division HQ in Salonika.  Only every seen one example, mine from memory is June 1918, quite late use.

If I can find it will post a scan.

Chris