• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Bethlehem 26 JU 1949 cds on Egyptian adhesives over-printed PALESTINE

Started by dtrapnell, May 21, 2020, 08:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtrapnell

[size=12pt]Shown here (I hope!) is part of a flagrantly philatelic cover with no address.[/size]
The British mandate ended midnight 14th May 1948. Egypt captured Gaza on 15th & pressed northward. They were in Hebron in September & December 1948 using Egyptian standard adhesives overprinted PALESTINE in Arabic & English (as Gaza).
The history books seem to say nothing about how far from Gaza the Egyptian postal administration extended.
So my Question - Did the Egyptians ever get to Bethlehem - or did an enterprising individual grab their PO handstamp?
Evidence please.
[img][/img]

Alan Baker

According to Wiki, Jordan captured the city of Bethlehem during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War and retained control until the 1967 war.

Alan Baker

I also note that the date on the stamp is 28 Ju 48. which is during a period of truce.

dtrapnell

Thanks for your observation, Alan. I have not found Wiki always reliable, in places even contradicting itself!
As i understand it, the Egyptians plus the Arab Legion pressed toward Jerusalem.
I did not find the bit about a truce in Bethlehem. There was in Jerusalem. Can you direct me?
What we need is other covers (ideally not philatelic & of other dates)!

Has anyone ever seen any?
David

Alan Baker

I found this on Arab-Israeli War 1948 on wiki. There is a map which suggests that Bethlehem was captured by the Arab Legion by the time of the ceasefire on 11th June. Bethlehem is not mentioned specifically however, although a search of the name mentions its capture by Jordan, but no date

dtrapnell

Thanks again.
Wiki is correct in over-all outcome. Jordan occupied East Jerusalem and the whole West Bank. Egypt shrank back to just Gaza.
But how far it got after holding Hebron (whether continuously or not) September to December 1948, we are not told.

I have submitted a short paper with illustrations of Hebron covers to Postal History. Wiki does not mention this specifically.
So, while Wiki is right in the end result, alas it does not say how that was achieved and the intermediate steps involved.

More covers wanted! Postal history can fill the gaps in the history books!
DT

Chris Grimshaw

Hi David

Interesting article and subject.  Have you considered submitting an article to the FPHS Journal.  Something I'd be happy to consider for publication.

Chris

dtrapnell

Thanks Chris.
Yes, I have. I tried to think which publication could pull in the most middle east collectors and, marginally PHS won! I am also going to have it as one of 13 chapters in my book[i] Aspects of war-time Palestinian postal history 1914-1979[/i] (Egyptian Expeditionary Force to Arab-Israeli wars) which is just about finished. It will have one chapter on WW2 Internment Camps by Chris Stephany-Waddell. That too will be published by PHS.

Kind regards        David