• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Cover (query) of the Day - 4 June 2020 - Army of the Black Sea 1920

Started by Peter Harvey, June 04, 2020, 07:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

First of all a thank you to Alan for his help with the name on this cover:

Here we have a November 1920 cover addressed to a Captain H.C. Westmoreland DSO, 1st Hampshire Regiment, Yildiz Barracks (which are in Constantinople), with two Ottomanes Postes stamps cancelled with the 28.11.20 datestamp. Cover has the separate cancellation to the left of the stamps (query Turkish Army) and the annotation 'Via ____ to US Embassy'

So 2/Lt H.C. Westmoreland travelled in 1914 with the 1st Hampshires to the Western Fron, was man Temporary Captain shortly after arrival and then Captain in early 1915. He was awarded the wounded strip, I assume during this period he was awarded the DSO, but I can not find a reference to that.

The 1st Hampshires in March 1920 (a year after returning to England) left for Constantinople and then the Army of the Black Sea, so the same date period of this cover:

- Can anyone help with the 'Turkish' cancelation?
- Any thoughts on the word after 'Via ........ to US Embassy' ?
- Who would be sending their mail via th US Embassy to the British at Constantinople - any ideas? 

Peter

Nick Colley

Looks like 'Via Guard Mail / to US Embassy' to me, Pete.

That's all I can offer - no idea why the US Embassy should be involved.

>:(
N

Alan Baker

Peter Harvey

Thank you both,  again like his surname the handwriting is challenging, I assumed 'Guard Mail' but then thought well what is guard mail, I assume now it just refers to guarded (maybe hand delivered) mail?

I like a good query - spent ages with this cover today, but fascinating stuff.

Chris Grimshaw

Morning Peter

This is a cracker and of great interest to me. A further cover from this correspondence which I have, is illustrated in colour on the Front page of John Slingsby's publication, "The Postal History of the Army of the Black Sea 1918 - 1923

A registered cover from Egypt to him  addressed C/o British PO Constantinople. 3rd November 1920

By November 1920 when this item was posted the British APO system was winding down the last two offices APO Y 1 (Pera) closed 30th November 20 and APO Y 2 (Haidar Pasha) closed 30 11 1920 as well.

After this mail was serviced by the Indian A PO system which remained until May 1922.

Chris