• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

4th for 5th June 42nd Division at Helles

Started by Chris Grimshaw, June 05, 2020, 03:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Making up for missing a few days today.

Probably one of interest to Alan in his Censorship studies,

Cover from M General W Douglas GOC 42nd Division. FD allocated 2 / 2643 to 126th Brigade HQ which censors this cover and 2 / 2642 to Divisional HQ, its possible he was away was from HQ when visiting 126th Brigade HQ But one would expect then to see a cancel of FPO 126.  Unless it was censored and sent back to Divisional HQ for posting.

Always nice to find mails from senior officers.

Comments welcomed.

Chris

Peter Harvey

Hi Chris,

Well spotted on the signature, most people would have missed this. As you say always nice to find mail from senior officers, helps to pin down locations etc. I just read up a little on him, at the time the cover was sent he would have been late 50's. He served in the European War from 1914; in Egypt, 10 September 1914 to 4 May 1915; the Dardanelles (3), 5 May 1915 to 2 January 1916 (Despatches twice [London Gazette, 21 September 1915 and November 1915]; created a KCMG November 1915); Sinai, 1916-17, including the Battle of Romani and taking of El Arish; commanded the Desert Column from 23 October 1916, to 8 December 1916 (Despatches twice, December 1916 and 6 July 1917; Croix de Guerre with Palm [London Gazette, 21 May 1917]); commanded the Western Reserve Centre in 1917 and 1918.

But sadly died in 1920 aged 62 years.

Pete

Alan Baker

I have already recorded this CM No, having picked it up from AK's index cards (which I think Chris St-W now has). In fact, the date of the cover I have recorded is the same, suggesting he had seen it before.

I also have another record from the same cards dated 28th Feb 1916. Proud lists FPO D42 as being in use in Egypt (Suez Canal 3 Section) at that date.

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Both,

A nice item,  so much of the "Senior Officer" material is in the Liddle Hart Archive which one requires a readers ticket to view.This item is ex AK which explains the recording of such.

Alan, once up to date will send you a full listing of all my Type 2 censor material.

Chris