• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Cover of the Day 29 June 2020 - Canadian Armoured Cars WW1

Started by Peter Harvey, June 29, 2020, 04:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Here I am showing a real photographic card - shows two armoured cars and three 'Officers talking'. On 15 September 1914, the Canadian Automobile Machine Gun Brigade, C.E.F. was mobilized, comprising the 1st and 2nd Sifton Batteries.

Card is sent to London, with the header 'On Train Ottawa to Montreal Sept 27/14' franked 2c cancelled MONTREAL P.O. SEP 27 1914.

Message reads ' Think we embark on Corinthian, this afternoon. This is the armoured car I'm on. Rawlings and I are on the rear gun. Duke of Connaught talking to Capt Hawkins'

On the 10 Sep 1914 the Corinthian left London on her last peacetime crossing of the Atlantic to Quebec and then Montreal, returning with the Canadian Expeditionary Force.

Great card this and nice to have the message to explain the picture.