• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

One for Mike, I think?

Started by Chris Weddell, October 06, 2020, 10:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Weddell

I have been going some items from AK's martial. I found what I think may be a proofing sheet. Can anyone give me any information about these FPO'S or anything else?

Cheers

Chris 

Michael Dobbs

Chris

What a very nice item - I am envious !

It is certainly some form of proofing sheet - or a sheet produced for a collector at the time (I'm thinking of Captain (Dr) M W Carstairs who was in BAOR during the early 1960s and as a FPHS member who compiled lists for our then newsletter and a text on the postal service in BAOR).  As a Captain he could exert a certain amount of authority to get these "proofing strikes".

I cannot imagine them being done for official purposes as I'm sure there would be some form of form for proofing strikes.
Also, they are from two distinct locations, albeit close to each other (Mönchengladbach and Rheindahlen).

In Ransom's draft publication the following information is given:

FORCES POST OFFICE 6:
1961-1977 Type B1 GERMANY  BFPO 40  Mönchengladbach  Ayrshire Barracks
1961 Type P1 GERMANY  BFPO 40  Ayrshire Barracks, Mönchengladbach

FORCES POST OFFICE 14:
1962 - 1964 Type B1 GERMANY BFPO 40  Rheindahlen  HQ NORTHAG
(Not seen) Type P1

So your very nice item will remove the "not seen" comment for the Parcel FPO 14 !  Thank you for sharing it with us.

Mike  :)