• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Continuing the Christmas Festitives

Started by Chris Grimshaw, December 27, 2020, 02:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

A further Menu card prior to service overseas.

Card has a Folded flap enabling it to stand upright. 

1915 Christmas Menu Card Officers Mess 2/5th Durham Light Infantry

In October 1915 Battalion moved to Retford, July 1916 moved to Hipswell Camp, Catterick

(Majority) of A1 Officers were drafted to 1/5th and other units. B1 drafts received until Battalion was about1,500 strong. October, 1916 word received that they were going to Salonika.  On 31st October Richmond Station for Southampton. Boat did not leave until November 4th Entrained for Marseilles, arrived 9th November. 

Embarked on the 'Minne-tonka'. 15th November dropped anchor in Salonika Bay. Marched through the streets to Lembet, 4 miles along the Serres Road.

Card has been signed as shown below.

W. Madgin
C.N. Littleboy
Harold E. Kitching O.B.E. M.I.D. twice- Salonika
C.S. Vane-Tempest
Vernon S. Smith
R. John Stockdale – M.C. Awarded as Lt in 1/5th
Bryan Hill
Dixon
Robert Skelson
W.E. Walker
Reg. F. Briggs
Laycock

Chris

Alan Baker

Chris Grimshaw

Couldn't think of one,  however not tried finding the Ranks and who's the senior Officer.

Chris

PS Will have to see if I have any others connected with Christmas.  Also have a few nice Reunion Menu Cards

Alan Baker

Three sigs match with later one - Walker, Madgin and Dixon.

I'll have a look for ranks later, after the Christmas cake

Alan Baker

First results:

William Madgin - enlisted as Pte in Northumberland Hussars, later Lt DLI and Capt Northumberland Yeomanry

Charles Norman Littleboy (1894-1966) - 2 Lt later Capt, DLI, Capt Sherwood Foresters. Col Green Howards in WWII

Harold Edward Kitching - Lt/Acting Capt DLI, Lt Col DLI 1925

Charles Stewart Vane-Tempest - Great Nephew of 5th Marquess of Londonderry, Lt DLI. Joined RFC 1917 (Lt, 70th Squadron). Died of wounds as POW 25th March 1917 following aerial combat

Alan Baker

A few more results:

Vernon Thomas Smith - Lt, later Capt King George's Own Pioneers (Indian Army)

Robert John Stockdale MC - 2 Lt, rising to Capt. Later served as Chaplain in WWII

B Hill - not found

Harold Parson Dixon - Lt, A/Capt

Robert Skelton - "Lt/Lt

Reginald F Briggs - Lt/A/Capt 1918

William Edward Walker - 2Lt - Capt then Major 1921 - there are roughly 9700 W Walkers listed on Ancestry, many WWI!

Laycock - the only officer I can find listed with DLI is Harold A, 2/Lt - later joined RFC. Not sure this is the one from the signature though

Chris Grimshaw