• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

WW1 U.S. Forces Athens and Constantinople Tresor et Postes 602 - 502

Started by Peter Harvey, February 01, 2021, 09:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Going with the theme......

I have several covers as the attached cover from a correspondence initially with the French in Athens Tresor et Postes 602 and then with the TEP 502 in Constantinople - all addressed to the USA and addressed from H.M. Gray 2Lt F.A. U.S.A. The attached also has E.M. Du C.A.A. and the earlier Athens covers American Legation.

So my questions are - F.A. = Field Artillery or Field Ambulance?
What were the US doing in Athens in July 18 and then Constantinople November 18
What do the initials (France) E.M. du C.A.A.

Any help appreciated

Peter

Peter Gassmann

Hi Peter

I'm not 100% sure but I believe C.A.A. stands for "Commandement des Armées alliées en Orient".

btw, I'm very much interested in the triangular NO-mark shown on your cover. do the other covers you mention also bear this mark?

best regards, Peter

Peter Harvey

Thanks Peter,

I searched for the Officer and could find family links to his family address, including a sister who served as a nurse in WW1.

I have attached copies of the other two covers.

Peter H

Howard Weinert

Peter,

FA stands for Field Artillery. Harold Merritt Gray [1895-1987] from Connecticut.
EM is probably Emissaire Militaire. Gray seems to have been a military attache.

Chris Grimshaw

Peter Gassmann

Hi Peter

thanks for showing the other covers! I assume the reverse sides do not have any marks?

Do I read the postmark date on your first cover correctly as 12. Nov. 1918?

best regards, Peter

Peter Harvey

Hi Peter,

No the reverse of the covers do not add anything, although the fronts are nice enough.

The first cover is 12 - 11 - 18 as you state.

Thank you and also thank you Howard and Chris, scarce items to find these don't come along often.

Not sure I have anything else new to add to this theme !!