• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Salonika to Corfu

Started by Chris Grimshaw, February 02, 2021, 03:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

Something a little different with questions.

Scans show a OHMS Cover to Sir C de Graz, Corfu,  Firstly cancelled APO SX 4 29 June 1918 which was located at Kalamiria serving the hospitals located there.

Then Base APO X 30 June 18, located at Salonika town.  Sent by rail to APO SX 10 where received 2 July 18, This was located at Itea, the port of entry / exit for the Overland route.  Next cancelled APO SX 14 12 July 1918, this APO was located at Corfu. 

10 days transit between Itea and Corfu.  What helps us a lot with this cover is all these back stamps.  OHMS mail appears in the main to be treated very similar to Registered mail,  Unknown if recorded on a docket but certainly back-stamped on its travels.  The distance between Itea and Corfu is 254 Kilometres, any guess on the route.  Via Taranto I feel. 

The cover also shows a Army Telegraph Cancel for I think 8 June 18 ,  Also endorsed DRLS  (Dispatch Rider Letter Service)  Also shows in manuscript C/o ??????? Dept, Salonika.  This manuscript has been over scribbled in red.  I think this is in a different hand to the final address.  Probably a reuse of this envelope.

Comments welcomed.

Chris