• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Ministry of Aircraft Production - Personal Letter Section

Started by Peter Gassmann, February 05, 2021, 06:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Gassmann

Hello All

on the following item from March 1943 from the US to UK there are two handstamps new to me:
- Circular "Ministry of Aircraft Production - Personal Letter Section"
- "Technical Data / Unlimited License / U-N-103"

Can anyone comment on the background of these marks? Are they considered censor marks?

best wishes
Peter

Michael Dobbs

Peter

I would suggest that the Ministry of Aircraft Production datestamp is purely that - an office datestamp which has been applied to signify date of receipt.  As you may have noticed the US meter franking mark does not include a date, so we don't know when it was posted.  I don't know what the pencilled note is inside the datestamp - DOS or DDS something.

I have no idea what the other marking is, unless it has something to do with the contents of the letter.

I do not believe that either of these markings represents censor marks or are indicative of the mail being censored.

Mike  :)

Peter Harvey

Hi Peter,

I believe that the U.S. Department of Defence issued so called 'Unlimited License's' to British manufacturers during WW2 allowing them to manufacture munitions to American designs. Given that this is a cover from an aircraft manufacturer in the U.S to the Air Ministry, it could I assume also relate to the manufacture of aircraft parts.

Peter H

Peter Gassmann

Many thanks Mike and Peter! I found it interesting that an internet search turns up pretty much nothing on these two marks. Only one somewhat similar item found when searching for "Personal Letter Section": https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belgium-Postal-History-PPC-Brussels-To-London-With-Ministry-Of-Supply-Rubber-CD-/124286321012

best regards, Peter