• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

HMS (SS) Dwinsk Archangel On Active Service RNVR

Started by Peter Harvey, February 18, 2021, 08:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

I would appreciate any thoughts on this card, I know that WW1 Navy is a great topic for the forum and WW1 Russia normally attracts some interest.

So I have a WW1 card from Archangel to Belfast in pencil headed ON ACTIVE SERVICE, sadly no postal markings. But upper left the card is marked H.M.S. Dwinsk and signed upper right, initial RNVR.

The only reference I have to this ship is Wiki, which tells me that the S.S. Dwinsk was passed to Cunard Line in 1917 who reflagged her under the British flag, and retaining her existing name. On 18 June 1918, under the command of Captain Henry Nelson, while steaming from France to Newport News, Virginia, Dwinsk was torpedoed by U-151 about 400 miles (640 km) from Bermuda.

I understand that the ship was previously leased by Nordisk Film A/S and served the Archangel - Hammerfest - New York route.

Does any one know if the ship was actually officially designated HMS. Also once she moved to Cunard did she sail into Archangel or is this potentially earlier.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

Peter

Colin Tabeart

Hello Peter, she is not listed in Colledge, but I only have the earlier version. Any idea what year/ If known could try the Navy List, but guess you have already done this.
Colin

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Peter

Have had a good trawl round,  cannot find much apart from her sinking.  Interesting she doesn't appear in the ships list for Cunard at all.  If fact 'D' wasn't popular only three vessel's connected with Cunard start with a 'D'

Likely but unproven.  A nice card.

Chris

Peter Harvey

Thank you both and to Howard who sent m som press cuttings about the sinking.

It is a pity there is no year (or a datestamp), but interesting on any case.

Help is much appreciated.

Peter

Frank Schofield

Gents

Just been through my WW1 Navy Lists, S S Dwinsk is not listed in any of them as H.M.S.

Frank