• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

1915 Cover from Russia Naval

Started by Chris Grimshaw, March 04, 2021, 12:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Attached scan shows an intriguing item currently on a well known internet site.

From Russia in Feb 1915 to a seaman on HMS New Zealand, redirected to Chatham Naval Hospital.  Anyone any thoughts please. I'm tempted.

Chris

Michael Dobbs

Chris - get in quick otherwise our Russian expert Howard might be tempted!!  ;) ;D

Mike

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Mike

Item will be with me in a few days.  An interesting cover.

Chris

Howard Weinert

The New Zealand visited St. Petersburg in June 1914 so the addressee may have made a new friend there.

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Howard

Item has just arrived,  on the original post I showed the item, now shown as a scan

HMS New Zealand is crossed out in Blue with writing at top of envelope is same crayon I can make out --- Hospital ------  this is then crossed out in purple and redirected to Chatham in same crayon.

No indication where the cancel South Queensferry ties in, unless that's where HMS New Zealand was around that date, or port of landing from Russia?  and the 'Hospital' markings stem from then onwards.

The little paper tags have sealed the cover after censoring.

Howard,  Can you translate the Censor Marking please.

Chris

Howard Weinert

Chris,

The purple oval mark reads OPENED BY MILITARY CENSORSHIP.

Alan Baker

HMS New Zealand was part of the 2nd Battle Cruiser Squadron, based at Rosyth. During 1915, she was part of a series of cruises into the North Sea.

South Queensferry is just the other side of the river estuary from Rosyth, linked by a ferry service.

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks All

Appreciated. Think I can write cover up now.  I'm taking it that was the entry port for mail from Russia at this time.

One thing that does surprise me with incoming mails from this period, No Censorship evident on arrival in the UK.  Whilst mails outgoing were subject to censorship.  To my mind mail from Russia in 1915 to a crew member on a British Warship would have shouted 'Censor Me'

Thoughts anyone.

Chris