• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

A British mark, or a US mark?

Started by Nick Colley, March 30, 2021, 05:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Folks, I've been passed a scan of an interesting cover, naval, WW2, by a fellow member. He's asking if the RELEASED BY NAVY CENSOR mark is of British or US origin. He has one view, and I have to confess that I'm inclined to the opposite view.

Would you care to share your thoughts (if any)?

Scan attached.

chrs
N

Peter Harvey

Michael Dobbs

I would agree - US Navy

It has a HM Ship tombstone censor and "On Active Service" cachet - both of which I would presume to be British.  But the other large cachet I believe to be US Navy, as it states "Navy", if it stated "Naval" I might have suggested British!

By the way, why has it a tombstone censor, when the postage stamp and cancellation are US?

Not my strongest point, so I could be completely wrong!

Mike  :)

Chris Grimshaw

Outside my field, however I'd suggest US Naval Marking. 

British Censor possibly a ship operating in US waters or attached to a US detachment, hence the postal cancel.

Chris

Nick Colley

Thanks, chaps. My view is the same as yours. I've looked through Daynes 2nd Ed., and there is no naval censor mark where the word 'NAVY' is used as an adjective: it is always 'NAVAL'.

However, the owner says: 'According to Phillip Nazak book on US Navy Censor Marks, only a very small number use Navy, most use Naval' so he is of the opposite view to ours.

I will advise the owner of our view.

chrs
N

Peter High

As a matter of interest, I have checked through 'Pictorial of World War I United States Fleet HANDSTAMPED CENSOR MARKINGS' by Curtis Kimes and there are several censor marks which incorporate the word 'naval' but none with 'navy'.
This book was published in 1995 (and I occasionally get copies for sale).
I appreciate that the cover referred to was WWII and not WWI but the above is just for the record.