• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Anyone interested in the Crimean War?

Started by apearson, April 04, 2021, 09:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apearson

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the FHPS and I collect/research letters, documents and postal history of the Crimean War 1854 - 56.  I was wondering if any other members have interests in the Crimean War or 19th c. warfare.  I have bits and bobs from the American Civil War as well, plus postcards (another collecting interest) relating to the Franco Prussian War, Boer War, and WW1/2.

If anyone is interested in the Crimean War perhaps you could make contact, if not then I'll have to try to convert you.

Best Regards and Stay Well.

Adrian.

Alan Baker

Adrian

Welcome to the Society and the forum. I have checked through the declared interests of our members and the only person who has specifically stated an interest in Crimean War material is .....you!

However, I believe there are several members whose interests cross into this period, notably John Cowlin, who I seem to recollect putting on a display of this period (Mike Dobbs will no doubt correct me). I don't think John accesses the forum though.

There are also members who are interested in the other periods you mention, but the rest of us are quite prepared to be converted, either through posts here or articles in the journal or in one of our zoom meetings. We are always keen to see what other members collect.

Alan Baker

Howard Weinert

Adrian,

I am interested in the Crimean War although I have only two letters - one Royal navy in the Baltic and one French navy in the Crimea.
Both have interesting content which I have posted in this Forum. I can send you scans if you provide your email.

Howard Weinert (hweinert@gmail.com)

apearson

Alan/Howard

Thanks very much for coming back to me.  I suspected that there wasn't much interest in Crimean War postal history by the paucity of references in the Journal and newsletters.  Mind you the bits that I have found are really useful and are adding to my knowledge.  Ironically one of the founders of the FPHS Colonel Crouch was a Crimean War collector and I have one of his covers plus a copy of the article he wrote about it.

Although I came to it rather late I find the war fascinating as it is in some ways the first 'modern' war with, among other things, extensive press coverage (uncensored), aided by the telegraph, and the first war to be extensively photographed.  I think that it is also the first war to have a dedicated postal service for the troops. I have some 18th c items from the Seven Years War with just the 'foreign' Bishop Mark and I think Napoleonic items generally have 'Ship Letter' or somenting similar.  Anyway before I run out of room I will certainly be doing something to generate interest.  If you could put me in touch with John Cowlin or anyone else with a passing interest I'd be grateful.

Howard.

If you have a letter from the Baltic fleet, that is really good.  I have covers but no letters as yet so you are already ahead of me there. I know there were a number sent from HMS Cossack via Nargen that have survived.  I have a number of letters from the French fleet in the Black Sea.  Thank you very much for your email address and I'll contact you seperately.

Adrian Pearson

Tony Walker

Hi Adrian

You might well have had another Crimean War collector, but so far not to be.

I was visiting a family friend before lockdown and the conversation turned to military postal history (I have a collection of British Navy material from WWI).  The partner of my relative who I had not previously met exclaimed she had a box of stuff from a relative of hers, about the Crimean War.  She eventually found it - a real treasure trove of many envelopes all with their contents, written by her grandfather I recall, serving in the Crimean War.

Alas despite gentle hints, they remain in that box, somewhere 'safe' in the house.  Shame.

Cheers, and welcome to the Forum
Tony Walker