• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

What ship

Started by Ross Debenham, April 28, 2021, 01:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I attach 2 scans of a post card from FPO 92 dated 2 January, 1916 and censored using Indian Censor Marker 132E. The interesting part of the post in in the message on the picture side of the envelope where the sender says he has sent a post card twice because he was afraid of the previous day going down with the transport that left the previous day, because incoming mails had been lost because of enemy U Boat activities. Now this may be difficult I realise, but can any member tell me what ship the incoming mails may have been lost on.

Frank Schofield

Ross

There are 7 ships which may include the one you are looking for
3rd - 9th December 1915 U 39 sank 4 ships 2 off Crete and 2 off Alexandria "Helmsmuir" "Veria" "Busiria" Orteric"
30th December U 34 sank "Abelia" off Crete also on the 30th
U 38 Sank "Persia" and "Clan Macfarlane" also off Crete
Hope of some use

Frank Schofield

Graham Mark

Hello Ross
The most likely ship that was carrying mails from Egypt was a French vessel "Ville de la Ciotat" Messageries Maritime, 6,390 tons, sunk by "U-34" torpedo 105 miles SW of Cape Matapan, on 24 Dec 1915.  81 lost.  She has sailed from the Far East and was also carrying mails from China, The Straits, Egypt and Cyprus.
Reference: "Imperial & Foreign Mails, Sea Conveyance during War 1914-1918" edited by me from PO Records, published by The Postal History Soc 1997, ISBN 0853770271.  In Jan 2017 I produced a Revised Appendix listing Outward Mails, Homeward Mails, both by date of mails, and Ships Alphabetically.  (A number of additions prompted the revision.)
A v small number of the books are still available at £15 (includes the Revised Appendix & p&p).  The Appendix alone is £3.50 inc p&p.
Regards
Graham  (email:  gmarkb34@btinternet.com)