• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

OVAL DEPUTY CHIEF FIELD CENSOR MARKER.

Started by Ross Debenham, May 07, 2021, 04:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I attach scans of an envelope ex Sudan WW2 that apart from being censored by a SDF censor stamp and an a.220 censor stamp, is censored using an oval Deputy Chief Field Censor stamp. Because it destination was Egypt I thought the Deputy Chief Field Censor was applied in Egypt, but having just seen another example of it on Sudan mail that would not have transitted through Egypt can any member enlighten me as to where this censor marker was used.

Peter Harvey

Hi Ross,

These were certainly used in Egypt and I would assume other locations in the Middle East, I do not think anyone has done any research on these (I have not seen it), other than the references in John Daynes original WW2 publication.

I have attached images of two further oval cachets one certainly used in Egypt and the FPO 214 copy out of Sudan to Egypt.

Regards Peter

Ross Debenham