• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

WW2 censor on Troopship mail

Started by Ian Muchall, June 17, 2021, 01:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Muchall

I have recently obtained the attached cover sent from a troopship, most probably mailed through India. The RAF censor is typical of mail from troopships under RAF control. However it has on the reverse an Indian civil postmark (date unclear) No 304. The Postage Free cachet is known on mail from India but the crown censor DMC/50 I cannot find any reference for. Any ideas?

Neil Williams

Ian

I would think that to be DHC, which was Bombay civil censorship.

The 304 numbered datestamp I am less certain. Proud's History of the Indian Army Postal Service (part III p303) has this to say  '... all other numbers in this type were security marks supplied through Army HQ to the Commands for distribution to Civil Offices for use at Camp POs or on Forces mail received at larger POs'. I've never see a listing!

Neil

Ian Muchall

Thanks Neil, 
I thought it ought to be DHC which would tie in with another I have but under a magnifier it is not clear. I think it must be DHC and age and a poor mark accounts for the query.
Thanks again. Ian