• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

WWI & After Registration Labels

Started by Chris Grimshaw, June 21, 2021, 08:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Harvey

Hi Chris,

I think these are further variations on what you have and those in K&C, in that a line is added after the S - in this case by S40 (offices G & F). Again APO S40 was used for such a long period I am not surprised that there are variations, in fact you could research S40 datestamps alone and build a collection.

Shall let you know if I spot any others.

Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Peter

Thanks for these, very useful items. 

The pre-printed label with S and a line I first record from 1917.  Likely was in use at many of the Stationary offices.  I'd welcome any examples.

Chris

Graham Perfett

Chris, I attach all those i have for BFPOs and APOs. All the other ones I have for FPOs are the large blank registration label with the appropriate FPO handstamp applied. I presume you do not need to see those. Regards, Graham

Graham Perfett

More attached.

Graham Perfett

More attached.

Graham Perfett

More attached.

Graham Perfett

More attached.

Graham Perfett

More attached.

Graham Perfett

More attached.

Graham Perfett

More attached.

Graham Perfett

Last one!

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Graham

Many thanks for these, Brilliant, exactly the type if material I'm looking for.  Thank You

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team,

This study progresses slowly with new information coming in.

On the 'S' Series  of APO Offices used in France and Italy etc I have now confirmed APO S 17, APO S 38 & APO S 100 as using fully pre-printed labels.  K & C illustrate what looks like APO S 12 but I've not seen an example. 

I've also found APO S 17 used in July, 1917 (opened 6 March 1917) using the Blank 'D' Type labels. 

Two reasons for this come to mind.

One,  Pre-printed example not yet introduced.

Two, Office had run out of Pre-printed and reverted to the 'D' Type labels.  This certainly occurred in 1919 in Constantinople

It's possible that S 38 & S 100 also used the 'D' Type labels in their early days.

Comments and further examples welcomed.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Having now started to write up the Postal History of this subject I'm currently looking at the 4 Base APO's which were opened in France in early 1915 having being re designated from the early series of APO's in use 1914/15

Currently the earliest registered item I show from France is April 1915 from Base APO 1 using the pre-printed label ARMY POST OFFICE over No (1)

Does anyone have anything registered from 1914/early 1915 I'm hoping to assertain if these pre-printed labels were avaliable from the early days of the war.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Bringing this topic back to the fore,  a trawl round the dealers ar Midpex yesterday revealed very little registered mail.

One item I did find is shown in the attached scan

Registered envelope with a pre-printed label,  BASE-ARMY  P.O.  printed centrally with no room for a No.  ie, 1 to 4,  Indicator number also printed centrally below.

Label was amended by crossing out BASE in Black and S15 added in red manuscript.

Envelope cancelled Army Post Office S 15  29 March, 1917  If anyone has further examples of any of these Base or Army Post Office labels please supply details.

This item has set me on a further train of thought, there were 4 Base Offices established,  how were the series of sub 'S' offices managed.  Did each Base office have a regional sector or area where they were the 'parent' office for a number of stationary offices on the Western Front.? 

K&C record one BASE ARMY P.O.  4 label in a different setting.  Mackay doesn't record this printing at all.

Chris