• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

WWI & After Registration Labels

Started by Chris Grimshaw, June 21, 2021, 08:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Perfett

Chris,
APO S.39 attached. Note the very small numbers on the Reg Label. Regards, Graham

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Graham

Not recorded this one before.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Peter

You list some very interesting material here  APO S 59 pre-printed I've not recorded or seen before. 

All the examples from Greece including APO R 60 are of interest for my Salonika collection / study.

If you're happy scans of all would be good for the data base I'm putting together.

Chris

Peter Harvey

Hi Chris,

Attached a late date A.P.O.G.R (small lettering), not sure if you have this one recorded.

15 April 21 is at about the latest date Proud records. As this was allocated to the German Railhead I also find interesting that they registered mail, most GR datestamps I see come to the back of the cover as a transit, often with one of the S40 offices to the front.

Pete

Peter Harvey

Hi Chris,

So technically not a label, but this shows I think a shortage of labels and improvisation, which is a surprise as this is on a T.18 cover and the Division had only been in France a couple of months.

Pete

Peter Harvey

Hi,

Again another this time APO S102 used on a pre-printed APO S (with central line) and the pencil addition 102 April 1919.

Interesting cover from a Major P C Spain, was with the port defence battalions of the Royal Artillery pre-war (Dorset Battalion) and then the RGA in France.

Pete

Chris Grimshaw

Hello Peter

Once again some very interesting covers

the APO GR with comma I have records of use 22 02 21 to 21 01 22

The cover with Reg details written in manuscript is interesting, first I've seen from the Western Front.
Examples do exist from Gallipoli and Salonika. 

Chris

Peter Harvey

Chris,

Another 1914, had you already seen this one?

Peter

Peter Harvey

Chris,

This is quite nice with the block letters 25 MR 16.

Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Peter

Two very good covers. 

The FPO T 48 with very large Hand-stamp is illustrated in K&C, we can now put a date on this which looks like 25 March, 1916 prior to the security swaps which came in on 18 June, 1916.
Will be interesting to see if different examples turn up.

We now have illustrations of two 1914 covers, others must exist.

Have been looking at the pre-printed Base Labels, so far April 15 is the earliest I can get.

These Base Offices (4 in total) were re-designations of the first series offices,

Base Army Post Office 1  was originally Army Base Post Office

BASE APO 2  was originally  APO S 47

Base APO 3 was originally  Postal Regulating Depot

Base APO 4 was originally APO S 14

Currently I record nothing from any of these Offices. 

Chris