• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

BLA FPO 329 13 Dec.1944

Started by Ingo Egerlandt, July 05, 2021, 07:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi members,
I have got a envelope, adressed to Brussel from the date. These FPO 329 not noted at formation list. But only FPO 331 and FPO 332.

Who has got more informations, about the place, where using this FPO?

Many thanks
Ingo

Michael Dobbs

Hello Ingo

FPO 329 was issued to the Guards Armoured Division Postal Unit (issue date unknown, but by 2 August 1943) - it was one of five datestamps issued (FPOs 328 to 332).  It appears that five datestamps was the standard issue to a divisional postal unit.

However, there are no detailed records as to which FPO within the Division it was allocated to.

It is also clear that someone (name unknown) who obviously had access to some official records at the end of WW2 clearly made an error when recording information for these FPOs allocations - they wrote D.A.9 when it should have been D.A.G.

The War Diary for the Divisional Postal Unit does not provide any details for individual FPOs operated by the unit.  However, it does show:

Unit HQ moved to Geleen, The Netherlands on 5 December 1944
Unit HQ moved to Rillaer (this could be an error for Rillaar, Belgium) on 20 December 1944
Unit HQ moved to Leau (no other information)

The next location is 5 February 1945 with the unit at Sparendaal, Netherlands - this could be an error for Sparrendaal.

I cannot remember if the War Diary was handwritten or typewritten - it was many years ago when I looked at it and took notes.  This could be an error in me reading handwriting or a typo error by whoever typed up the War Diary.

The War Diary does not indicate how many FPOs were operational at any one time.  However, with the entry into Germany the following FPOs were redesignated on 26 June 1945 as shown below (there is no reference to FPO datestamp numbers in the War Diary):

FPO DAG became APO E.591
FPO BG32 became APO E.592
FPO BAG5 became APO E.593

Sorry I cannot be more specific regarding the location of FPO 329.

Mike  :)

Ingo Egerlandt

Hi Mike,

many thanks for the big information!

Ingo