• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Incoming Mail into North Russia 1919

Started by Chris Grimshaw, October 25, 2021, 03:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Any assistance on this card attached pleased,  I cannot work out what language it's written in for starters.  Presume the Russian cancel is Murmansk.

Card is a view of H.M.S. CZARITZA which was a 'hired' transport by this time.

Cheers

Chris

Alan Baker

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

Could be right, still cannot read it though.

Chris

Alan Baker

Alan Baker

Friday, 22 VIII
We find ourselves at Lerwick where our boat is taking ..... Everything is well ....... ....have no sickness? ....

Best I can do

Michael Dobbs

All I can help with is the UK postal marking - LERWICK on 23 AU 19 which ties in with when it was written (22 VIII).

Mike

Peter Harvey

The Russian datestamp is АРХНГЕЛЬСК which I think is correct for Archangel

Peter

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks everyone. 

Can confirm it is ARCHANGEL

Chris

Neil Williams

Folks

further translation.... our ship is taking on coal.

The closing sentence is 'Tomorrow we continue our journey'

at the moment I'm stuck on the phrase between 'All goes well ..... there is no (sea)sickness'

back to the dictionary and watch this space (or not!)

Neil W

Sozont Singh

Chris, hello!

Yes, it is "Arkhangelsk" - Архангельск.
Below is the address in Russian and maybe the addressee's name or some other comment (did not fit into the photo).

Sozont Singh

Placed the beginning: "Sobornaya ulitsa" -  Sobornaya street.
This is one of the streets of Arkhangelsk (before the Bolsheviks, who renamed it to Karl Liebknecht's street).

I think that the addressee lived here.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ulitsa+Karla+Libknekhta,+2,+Arkhangel'sk,+Arkhangelskaya+oblast',+163100/@64.5350673,40.5149176,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x441836809e55d427:0xc1e21b87e6831461!8m2!3d64.535065!4d40.5171062

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks All

I'll re-post the card without cropping.

Chris

Howard Weinert

The Czaritza was one of several transports that carried troops to and from Arkhangelsk.
The sender of this card was probably one of the French soldiers who took part in the Allied intervention.

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Howard

Wondered if that was the case.

Chris