• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Harold Ordish, 10th MG Coy, AIF

Started by Alan Baker, October 28, 2021, 10:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Baker

Spending an hour or two going through my stockpile of cards and covers

This card is from Major Harold Ordish, 10th MG Coy, AIF, posted at sea on 12th July 1916. The reverse is a scene of S Vicente, Cabo Verde. It bears a straight line censor "PASSED BY CENSOR", similar to Gould 4C351.

Questions:
1. Where would this censor have been applied?
2. The sender was en route to England from where?
3. Any idea of the vessel?

Peter Harvey

Hi Alan,

I have attached two pages from the Australian Forces archive on line, which are War Diary intelligence reports. Looking at a couple of references the 10th Battalion made up part of the 3rd Infantry Division which arrived in Egypt 1914.

However they then reorganised in 1916 and moved to the Western Front. The attached makes reference I think to reinforcements to the 10th MG, sailing from Melbourne 27 May 16 on transport A11 to England, Salisbury Plain and then onwards to France.

The attached mention leaving S Vicente 9/11/16. They were on the Ascanius see this link: https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P10082.001

So the censor cachet used on ship?

Peter

Alan Baker

Could it have been applied when the ship arrived at Devonport?

Peter Harvey

Hi Alan,

Well it could have, however my understanding is that most WW1 navy mail was censored on ship rather than at the port of arrival.

Army WW1 navy expert comments?

Peter