• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

American Red Cross in Riga 1920

Started by Chris Grimshaw, November 22, 2021, 02:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

Something slightly different.  Cover from an American Captain serving with the American Red Cross Commission in Riga, Latvia. 

Carried privately or by 'Bag' to Paris where posted. Not too sure about the three line cachet.

Part of the dispatch cancel? or a cachet of who ever handled the cover in Paris.?

Friend views welcomed.  Maybe Howard can tell us more about their doings in Latvia and who Captain Stevens was. 

Chris

Neil Williams

Chris

the slogan is COLLER LE TIMBRE / EN HAUT & A DROITE / DE L'ENVELOPPE

literally, 'stick the stamp at the top and right of the envelope' - tied to the PARIS RP DEPART cancel.

Neil

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Neil

Brilliant, I'd tried 'Google' on the middle line with no joy. :)

Chris

Howard Weinert

Chris,

I could not find any information about Capt. Stevens. After the war, the American Red Cross and YMCA provided relief services throughout Europe.

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks for trying Howard, Appreciated.

I'd found some general information on Google and have a couple of letter/reports which Harry Luke wrote about the American Red Cross and Relief organisations in the Near East area.

Not very complimentary I'm afraid.  'Free-booters, Pirates and Hard headed businessmen' sums them up.

Chris