• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Scilly Ils WWI

Started by Tony Walker, December 20, 2021, 12:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Walker

I have a WWI PPC (see attachment) with a Scilly Ils cds dated 21 May 1917, the picture showing a St Mary's street scene.

The other side has an example of Goulds 4A200, which Michael suggests is probably from the auxilliary patrol force rather than the RNAS base on Scilly which is suggested by others.

Can we pin this censor mark down?  There is a decent censors initials which I read as FMcG but could be different, and I bow to those of greater skills.  It is addressed to a Mrs Piggott of Maryleborne Street, London.  Looks to be from 'Perce'.

Ant contributions?

Cheers to all
Tony

Tony Walker

A bit more info to add to this earlier post.

A Royal Navy Auxiliary Patrol Station was established on Scilly in 1915, when U boat attacks moved from the North Sea into the Western Approaches.  Later a Royal Naval Air Station was set up in Tresco in 1917 with some 14 flying boats and 1000 personnel (seems excessive?)

As my card is dated 21 May 1917 it could have arisen from either of these naval bases.  So if anyone can pinpoint the censor, that might sort it......

Cheers
Tony

Nick Colley

Tony, I eventually found my Scilly Islands items. (As usual, while I was looking for something else....). I have another from the Piggott correspondence with the same censor mark as yours, and a cover from a different correspondence altogether, with a different censor mark. Sadly they don't seem to get us any further, but I'll put them up anyway.

rgds
N

Tony Walker

Thanks Nick

The only hope is the censors initials.  I think we should allow Frank S some time to wind down after Christmas before we nudge him!

Cheers
Tony