• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

73 BATALLION, KAR

Started by Ross Debenham, December 21, 2021, 02:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

I attach scan of a recently acquired cover from a member of 73 (K) Batallion, KAR. of unreadable date, and posted from APO 69, a lines of communication post office at Gilgil in Kenya. Now what confuses me is that the 71 KAR was a Somali batallion that fought so bravely in Burma, 72 KAR was a Somali that mutineered at Burao, so why would the army allocate 73 to a Kenyan batallion if it is Kenyan. Or have I got it all wrong.  Help.

Peter Harvey

Hi Ross,

I read the date as 25.1.44 and the signature on the censor as R.C. Noble - at this time Lt R.C., Noble, checked Forces War Records and he is recorded with the KAR.

But I can not find anything on the 73rd (K) Battalion..... hopefully other members can help.

Peter

Ross Debenham

Thanks Peter, the records seem to get a bit sparse for those officers seconded to East African Command. I wonder if the battalion is actually 73 (A) Battalion and it was actually a Somaliland Battalion in training in Kenya.

Michael Johnston

Hi Ross

73 KAR is certainly a Kenya battalion.

The root of your query results from the frequent re-designation of units to avoid confusion as KAR expanded dramatically during WW2.

In this case, 73 (K) KAR arose from the re-designation of 31 KAR as the Nyasaland battalion 3/1 KAR was re-designated 31 (Nyasaland) KAR which is listed as deploying to India.

73 (K) KAR is listed as operating in the Islands Area, specifically Mauritius.

Regards

Michael

Ross Debenham

Thank you very much Michael, that has solved a lot of questions for me.

Michael Johnston

Hi Ross

Further to this, I checked my collection and found an AMLC from the same person franked at 25c and cancelled on 7 April 1944 at EA APO72. This is Yatta, Kenya, KAR (K) 73's home base.

Capt Roger Noble was seconded to 73 (K) KAR from the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. He spent 4 years in East Africa.

Regards

Michael

Ross Debenham

Once again, thanks Michael.