• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

India FPO23 East Africa 1914

Started by Michael Johnston, January 07, 2022, 12:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Johnston

I have this East African WW1 cover originating at Bissel in Kenya. Alongside an Indian FPO23 cancel there is an inverted triangle mark "Welsh/4". Can anyone tell me more?

Peter Harvey

Hi Michael,

I replied, because no-one else has yet.

This almost looks like and 'inspectors' mark, small triangle cachet type, although I can not locate anything with this type of wording, although I only have a few reference publications that might cover this.

It certainly does not look like a military cachet, the majority of the Indian FPO cachets of the period have the I.E.F. lettering.

Whilst I would suggest this was applied in the UK, I am not sure where/why, hopefully other members might comment.

Peter

Michael Dobbs

Michael & Peter

I have found a reference to such a mark in Stanley Gibbons "Collect British Postmarks" 8th Edition, Edited by Bill Pipe, 2011

page 326 under "Inspectors' marks" lists this (no illustration) as 19/66 (19 representing section 19: Newspaper, Parcel, Registration, Express and Triangular Postmarks) with the comment "SCOTCH, WELSH and IRISH with numbers" - in this case WELSH / 4.

Could it be that it was accidentally routed to Wales?

Mike  :)

Michael Johnston

Interesting. Thank you both for your help.

Michael