• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

Canadian use of FPO 130 in 1942 + coincidences??

Started by Jim Mackay, January 13, 2022, 07:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Mackay

Sender's details on the reverse of this cover are W G Bracken F/O, R.A.F. Ceylon

Its cancelled Indian Section Base Office (number illegible) dated 20 May 42.

R.A.F. censor type R10/955 as used in Ceylon.

Subsequent FPO 130 dated 22 Aug 42. Cancel was used by Canadian Forces but I don't know where.

Any thoughts on why there's a three month gap? I wondered if the sender might have been a casualty and somehow the PO set aside the item.

I checked the The Commonwealth War Graves site which records the death of Flight Sergeant William Henry Bracken of Royal Canadian Air Force 7 (R.A.F.) Sqdn who died on 20 May 42 (same date as above cover) and is buried in Heverlee War Cemetery, Belgium. Originally from Moose Jaw, SK, he was radio operator in a Stirling bomber which collided in mid air with a German ME 110 night fighter. All were killed in the collision.

So it seems a pure coincidence that WG Bracken despatched a letter to his parents at precisely the same time that WH Bracken died several continents and timezones distant.

Back to the cover: the addressee, John Bracken, was premier of Manitoba and subsequently leader of the Progressive Conservative party of Canada. He had four sons, William Gordon, who died on March 7, 2008, being the youngest. His obituary mentioned his RCAF service.

I haven't been able to find any connection between William Henry Bracken and the Winnipeg Brackens.

Jim

Michael Dobbs

Jim

According to "The BNAPS Catalogue of Canadian Military Mail Markings - Volume 2 The World War 2 Era 1936-1945" Compiled and edited by C D Sayles FPO 130  was used by the Letter Section, Canadian Overseas Postal Depot, London  May 41 - (Jun 46).

However, according to "The Canadian Military Posts Volume 2 - Between the Wars and World War Two - 1920 to 1946" by W J Bailey and E R Toop, Edited by Edward Proud it shows it being used at Canadian Base Post Office No 1 (later designated Canadian Overseas Postal Depot in October 1941)  (2.7.41) to 30.9.41.

RAF CENSOR 955 is recorded in "Censorship in the Royal Air Force 1918 to 1956" by Dr N Colley and W Garrard, 2nd Edition edited by N Colley and I Muchall as being in Ceylon.

I hope the above proves helpful.

Mike

Jim Mackay

Many thanks for that, Mike.

Any thoughts on the three month transit between Ceylon and London?

Jim

Michael Dobbs

Other than to suggest that the delay was maybe down to such mail being sent by surface mail (not air mail) by ship back to UK then to Canadian Overseas Postal Depot.  There could have been some disruption due to enemy action on the surface route back to UK ?

Sorry, I don't have enough info on routes, timings, etc for far east surface mail back to the UK.

Mike  :(

Neil Williams

An OAS free concession mail would certainly have gone surface, via South Africa.

With the Japanese in the Indian Ocean, the Med closed and U-boats in the Atlantic, shipping capacity for non-urgent mail would have been very limited, and what there was would probably have had to wait for convoys.  I have similar delays on surface mail from Aden throughout 1942 - average 8-10 weeks to the UK and another 4 weeks on top to North America.  So I would say your 3 months is not out of the ordinary - no wonder there were complaints!

Neil W