• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

SHEWING THE FLAG - THE CRUISE OF H.M.S. “LYCHNIS”

Started by Chris Grimshaw, April 22, 2022, 01:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Friends

Something a little different, At the last Banstead Fair I purchased a typed report as per heading of this post.

Now transcribed into a Word document which I've attached.  No direct Postal History but gives very good details.  Spelling etc as in the original document, I've done some research on matters mentioned as shown.

Enjoy.

Chris 

Michael Dobbs

Chris

Well done - but I hope you didn't re-type 16 pages worth of text!! 
I hope you had some software to scan and convert to text in Word (e.g. OCR).

Mike

Chris Grimshaw

Hi Mike

All re-typed. I'm aware of the software you mention but don't have it and have never used it.  It would be a big help.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

A little more

Among the material was the DSO Citation Certificate for Commander Noakes mentioned in the document.  See scan 

I think the signature at the top is George R At the bottom right is  a further signature I cannot make out and below partly off the scan (too big) :( is written "The Principal Secretary of State having the Department of War for the time being." Further research need here to ID him.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Further Ephemera

Cafe receipt and the Front cover of a booklet "The Statutes Of The Distinguished Service Order"  six pages in total.  if of interest I'm happy to scan.  Not seen this before, Was it given to the recipient of the Order?

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

Chris Grimshaw

Finally the last of the material.

Photo of HMS LYCHNIS in Grand Harbour, Malta I think. 

No direct Postal History but a rare survivor and unusual.

Chris

Chris Grimshaw

To complete the story

Lt Commander Noakes was awarded his DSO for sinking U64, on 17th June 1918

U 64 ( a very small class type of 3 boats, U 63, 64 and 65.

Type U 63
Shipyard Germaniawerft, Kiel (Werk 248)
Ordered 17 May 1915
Laid down 19 May 1915
Launched 29 Feb 1916
Commissioned 15 Apr 1916
Commanders
15 Apr 1916 - 17 Jun 1918 Kptlt. Robert Moraht (Pour le Mérite)
Career 10 patrols
31 May 1916 - 19 Nov 1916 IV Flotilla
19 Nov 1916 - 17 Jun 1918 Pola/Mittelmeer I Flotilla
Successes 45 ships sunk with a total of 129,569 tons.
3 ships damaged with a total of 9,420 tons.
1 ship taken as prize with a total of 186 tons.
1 warship sunk with a total of 18,300 tons. (View ships hit by U 64)
Fate 17 Jun 1918 - Damaged by D/C from HMS Lychnis, she surfaced and received a hail of fire until sinking at 38.07N 10.27E. 38 dead and 5 survivors.

Chris