• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

MAJOR P.R. CREWS

Started by Ross Debenham, May 28, 2022, 02:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Debenham

Find attached scans of one of two covers I recently picked up in a auction. They are postmarked at FPO 698 which was attached to 81 (WA) Division which was in Burma at the time. Both were sent by the abovementioned major. Can anyone in the society inform me what West African brigade he was attached to, or lead me to where I might find that out what brigade he was attached to. I believe it wasn't the 5th Gold Coast brigade as I am 99% sure that the used FPO 697. Hoping a member can assist me.

Peter Harvey

Hi Ross,

I had a quick look at Forces War Records and could only find one P.R. Crews a Lieutenant (Acting Captain) in 1945 serving with the Sherwood Foresters. I understand that the Sherwood Foresters were in Burma.

Sorry can not help any further, hopefully others chip in.

Peter

Ross Debenham

Thanks Peter, a great help.

Geoff Hanney

Ross

Like Peter I have had quick look on the Army List, Gazette etc.

Believe his name was Peter Raymond Crews (130564) he joined as War Service Officer as 2nd Lt. on 11th May 1940 with The Sherwood Foresters. In 1945 he was a Captain but had Honorary rank of Major. It possible he might have been seconded as officer to a West African unit (specially as he had Honorary rank) rather than serving with The Sherwood Foresters.

Geoff

Alan Baker

On Ancestry, it lists several journeys back to the UK from Lagos, Nigeria, giving his occupation as Administration Officer. It appears he lived and worked in West Africa for some years.

Ross Debenham

Once again thanks for all the help.