• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

This forum uses cookies which keeps track of your login preferences. With cookies enabled, you can log in automatically each time you visit the forum.

Main Menu

Query Signature

Started by Chris Grimshaw, October 30, 2022, 02:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Afternoon Team

I'm struggling on this signature

Scan shows two examples.  The cover of 14 October contains a letter where he's just arrived in Constantinople from Taranto.  He'd been sent out by the War Office to take up some sort of appointment but finds on arrival that GHQ has appointed someone else for the job. 

Chris

Jim Mackay

From Ecosia: "https://www.ancestry.co.uk › name-origin?surname=nuaham
Nuaham Name Meaning & Nuaham Family History at Ancestry.co.uk®

"The Nuaham family name was found in the USA, and the UK between 1880 and 1920. The most Nuaham families were found in USA in 1880. In 1891 there were 3 Nuaham families living in Lancashire. "

Coluld be 'Col'after his signature?
Jim

Alan Baker

I think these are two different censor's signature. The first appears to be R Mahoney Col, the second is R Needham (can't quite make out the rank). The addressee is Mrs Needham

Nothing in AK's ledger for CM7/882 (or is it 382?)

I'll check out the two names later

Alan Baker

CM7/382 is noted in the ledger with a number of APO/FPO Nos, including SY4, August 19 - 14th October 1919. If this is from AK's material, I have already noted this. Proud allocates this to Constantinople Harbour Office.

Other Nos are: SX5 Dec 17, H12 Feb 19, APO Y

Peter Harvey

Are you sure the second cover is not 'R Nudham' and sent to Mrs Nudham. The surname certainly appears in a Google search for Hove, but not in Forces War Records.

Peter

Peter Harvey

Try this, found on the history of Hove, as the covers are addressed there, I would put my money on this.

Major Roderick Macauly Bertram Needham DSO

He was born in Trinidad in 1880, and later on became the brother-in-law of Captain Vane de Vere Mortimer Vallance, and like him he was a professional soldier and had lived locally from boyhood. Needham served throughout the Boer War, and was twice Mentioned in Despatches by Lord Kitchener on 30 July 1902; he was commissioned in the same year. During the First World War he served in France from 9 November 1914 to 13 September 1915. Then he was sent to Salonika where he held an important post on the Headquarters Staff of the 26th Division. Once again he was Mentioned in Despatches on 7 December 1916, and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order in 1918. He returned home safely to his wife and daughters living at 62 Brunswick Place, and ended his military career as a Colonel.

Alan Baker

Told you it was Needham.

I have also found a record of Mrs Valerie de Valence Needham (nee Vallence) visiting 18 St Aubyns, Hove in the 1911 Census. This was her father's house. She married Lt Roderick MB Needham in 1905.

No luck with the other signature though. Most Mahoneys in WWI were not officers

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks All, Very useful information.

The censor is 7/382.

I also record much the same as Alan,  APO SX 5 in March 1918, APO Y March and May 1919 plus this example shown from APO SY 4

Currently I've not see from FPO H 12

Chris