• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

French Censor from Salonika

Started by Chris Grimshaw, October 30, 2022, 02:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

A 'battered' little gem from AK's material.  He certainly squirreled some interesting material away

A cover to a Major at the British Artillery Training School Salonica.  Franked 15 Lepta, very unclear Greek Cancel Also cancelled Base APO X 29 December 1917.

Two strikes of an Oval French Censor, ARMIE DE ORIENT / CENSURE MILITAIRE ? 41  Never see this or anything like it before

Peter Harvey

Hi Chris,

I have seen this used before, but have no reference for it, I do think there are several numbers and also a round d/r version with similar lettering.

Scarce, I agree, unusual to have this cancelling the stamps would assume that there was no TEP available?

Peter Gassmann

Hi Chris

yes, this is a standard censor mark of Armeé d'Orient, but they are rare. I know of 9 different numbers in the range 41-69. It seems they were issued in Autumn 1917, but then replaced by the oval "CONTROLÉ par l'authorité militaire" (numbers 1-10) in early 1918. Would you have a scan of the reverse side as well?

best wishes, Peter