• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

An unexpected postmark on a WW2 Canadian naval item.

Started by Nick Colley, November 02, 2022, 10:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Colley

Greetings, all,

As much as a point of interest to at least some of you (I hope), as a question from me: attached should be a scan of a WW2 Canadian naval item with what seems to be a rather unusual postmark (for naval mail), a s/r Sydney & Truro R.P.O. of February 9th 1944.

I've established that there is a Sydney on Cape Breton Island, and a Truro on the main Nova Scotia peninsula. The internet tells me there is, or, at least was, a railway connecting the two across the Canso Causeway. If that is correct, then would I be correct in thinking R.P.O. stands for Railway Post Office? If not, then feel free to tell me what it DOES stand for. Also, whatever the letters mean, would my use of the adjective 'unusual' be appropriate?

Many thanks for any thoughts you may care to share.

rgds
N

Neil Williams

Nick

RPO is indeed Railway Post Office. I've seen similar on other WWII Canadian mail, though not this railway line. In my examples they are clearly'transit' marks, which I have interpreted as being sorted on the train. I would guess this is what this one is.

Neil

Nick Colley

Thanks, Neil, you've confirmed my line of thinking - which was only intuitive and deductive, and hence merely circumstantial, so as I say, thanks for confirming it.

chrs
N