• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

After logging in for the first time don't forget to change your password and update your email address. You can do this by clicking on the Profile button at the top of the page and choosing Account Related Settings

Main Menu

FPO TX October 1917

Started by Chris Grimshaw, November 19, 2022, 04:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Field Post Office TX falls in the series allocated to the Canadian Divisional Trains TX, TX 2, TX 3, TX 4

In security swap phase IV I can find no record of use in Proud.  K & C lists as 55? 

Australian Division Train, No's 1, 2 & 3 have no Number allocated in phase IV,

Cover I'm looking at has a Australian style Registration Label with a Handstamp FPO TX instead of the datestamp.

Strongly suspect one of the 3 missing Australian trains. It bears censor 5 / 4068, first example I've seen.

Chris

Does anyone have any records of this FPO in October 1917, 

Alan Baker

Looking at AK's index card, he records two items for TX in October 1917.

The first is 5/4068, with a note of an AIF registration label (presumably the one you have). Date 4th October

The second entry is dated 10th October and is 5/2493. Both note a backstamp RW3 - 3 Aus Div Railhead

According to Proud, TX was used by TW3 in Phase IV, i.e. 3rd Aus Div Train. In its place 1 Cdn Train used TP1 (from an extract of B&T Vol 1 provided to me by Wayne Schnarr). This is presumably why there is no record against TW3, as it was not a straight swap

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

Sounds like the same cover, scan attached,

The second entry is dated 10th October and is 5/2493. Both note a backstamp RW3 - 3 Aus Div Railhead is interesting, now recorded by myself.

Found a little more in K & C, Page 38 where they list details of numbers of the various censors, No reference to say if what they'd seen or an Official Document

For Type 5 they show 1 to 5897 France, and from 7/17 to 10/17 No 5189 to No 5434 from Italy.

Currently I only record 2 examples in this block, No 5252 with APO S 85, still in France at St Germain (Transit camp) Opened 21.7.1917,

5265 with APO S 95 in Italy

Chris