• Welcome to FPHS - Legacy Forum.

News:

If you are having a problem logging in or using the Forum contact the Webmaster at webmaster@forcespostalhistorysociety.org.uk. Every member has been pre registered so new members should not try and register themselves. You will have been advised of your login details with your membership information.

Main Menu

Is this a WWI Naval Censor?

Started by Chris Grimshaw, November 22, 2022, 12:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Grimshaw

Team

Something a little different, currently working through an old PPC collection

Scan shows a view card of Redruth, (Cornwall) The Parish Church.

Cancelled GREAT WESTERN TPO - 11 Feb 1918

Two line PASSED BY CENSOR in Vilot

Chris

Alan Baker

Yes, it is. It is Gould 4C139 and the illustration in his book (Vol 1) appears to be from the same writer. 

Gould records 4C139 as from Mullion B. Oscar Thorp, according to FWR was a Leading Mechanic in the RN and Ancestry has his service record as being on HMS Daedalus (Mullion) in 1917 - 1918. Daedalus was a Royal Naval Air Station at Lee-on-Solent, until the RNAS became part of the RAF on 1st April 1918. He then joined the RAF, although I cannot view his record.

Oscar Thorp was born in 1888 and worked as a drapery salesman. He died in 1943 (although he still appears on the electoral register for 1945)

Alan Baker

I would scan a copy of the illustration but it exceeds the maximum size permitted. I will consult with my IT expert (my daughter) tomorrow

A Numpty

Chris Grimshaw

Thanks Alan

I wondered if it was RANS connected with the location.  A nice card, I'll advise the cards owner, a new local member who's not used the Forum as yet.  Working on it.

Chris

Alan Baker

The cavalry has arrived. Copy of Gould's image attached (I hope)[attach id=6453]Thorp.jpg[/attach]